The Brown family arrived in Carleton Place in 1870 when Horace Brown (1829-1891) moved to town from Lanark. He bought and expanded the old Boulton Mill into a four story structure using the new roller process to grind flour.
lkdjfhslkgjhglkjfjfhglkjfdshfglkjhdslkjgkjgfdshgfdkjhgfdkjhgfdkjgfdhlkjgfdhgfdkjhgfdlk jgfdhgkjfdhfdg lkjhgkjgfdhlkjgfdhgfdlkj hgfdlkjgfdhgfdlkjhgfdlkjgfdhlkjgfdhgfdlkjhglkgjhgfd;lkgfdjhg;lkjd s;lfgjslkjdshglkjhdslkjghlkfdsjhglk jhgfdlkjhgdslkjgdshlkjgdshgdslkjhgfdlkjhgfdslkjhgfdlkjhgfdlkjgfdhlkjgfdhgfdlkjgfdlkjsh
The year 1870 saw the village of Carleton Place incorporated as a town. An industrial and housing boom was underway, aided by the new Gillies sawmill just across the river from the Brown's mill.
Horace's son James Morton (1863-1926) later took over operation of the flour mill, and then began to generate electricity using the water power of the Mississippi River, a power generation business that ran for over 30 years.
James was a prominent figure in Carleton Place, serving as a town councilor, public school trustee, Zion Presbyterian church treasurer and public utilities commissioner.
lkdjfhslkgj hglkjfjfhglkjfdshfglkjhdslkjgkjgfdshgfdkjhgfdk jhgfdkjhlkjgfdhgfdlkj hgfdlkjgfdhgfd lkjhgfdlkjgfdhlkjgfdhgfdlkjhglkgjhgfd;lkgfdjhg;lkjd fdlkjsh
James married Mary Elizabeth Flett in 1886 and together they had five children: Margaret, Elizabeth, Arthur Roy, Horace, and Howard. They lived at 146 Judson Street, Carleton Place.
Front: Horace, Mary, Howard, James Morton
Back: Margaret, Elizabeth, Roy